Although there were not many updates to the blog in the last years, Incanter’s development still happens with contribution of many people.
As result of this, I just pushed 1.9.3 release to Clojars. This release includes several fixes in the charts library, makes Incanter completely compatible with 1.9.0 (Incanter itself still lists 1.8.0 as dependency), plus some other fixes, listed at changelog.
Also, starting with this release all active development for version 1.9.x/2.0 will happen again in the master branch, and bug fixes for 1.5.x will go into branch 1.x.
I just pushed Incanter 1.5.7 to Clojars – this is bug fix release just to fix incompatibility with Clojure 1.7.0 & higher. 2 additional bugfixes are described in changelog.
The first preview of the Incanter 2.0 is now available on Clojars as Incanter 1.9.0. This release mostly based on the work done during GSoC 2014 for project “Incanter and core.matrix integration” & includes following big changes (Please look to the wiki for full list of changes):
- Incanter now uses only core.matrix functions with :vectorz as default implementations. You can use another implementation by adding corresponding dependency to your project file & selecting implementation using the set-current-implementation function;
- Incanter’s dataset is now based on the Dataset from core.matrix that supports both labeled columns & rows. Dataset is also a matrix now, so matrix functions work on datasets as well;
- Many functions are now deprecated in favor of corresponding functions from core.matrix (full list of deprecated functions is available on wiki).
Most of these changes are breaking the old API, so please look onto full list of changes that you can find in changelog.
Please, note that this version may have bugs, so please test your code with it & provide feedback. The next versions will provide more functionality from the list of tasks planned for Incanter 2.0, for example, reworking the read-dataset function, etc.
I want to say thank you to all people who participated in this release: Aleksandr Sorokoumov (aka Gerrrr) who did the major part of the work as part of the GSoC 2014; Mike Anderson (aka mikera) for great job on development of core.matrix, vectorz & many other projects & guidance during the GSoC; and all people in the Incanter mailing list who provided the ideas for new release & discussed the ways how to implement this.
I just pushed the Incanter 1.5.6 to Clojars. This is bugfix-only release & includes many changes.
I’m planning to release the first preview of the Incanter 2.0 during the next few days – it will includes the changes made as part of GSoC, including the protocol-based dataset & tight integration with core.matrix.
As part of the GSoC for Incanter, Aleksandr Sorokoumov wrote the proposal for the new, protocol-based API for datasets that should be released as part of the Incanter 2.0.
If you’re using the Incanter, and if you’re interested, please join the discussion of the new API.
As the GSoC is going forward, we’re also discussing the changes that will be made in the Incanter 2.0. One of the proposed changes – get rid of first/rest semantic for matrices. If you’re using them in your Incanter code, please answer to the list with your use cases…
Incanter 1.5.5 has been released to clojars. This release contains the many bugfixes + some improvements that are documented in the change log. Please, take into account that there is one breaking change in handling of gamma distribution!
I want to thank all the people who contributed into this release!
Besides the 1.5.5 release we have some organizational changes that could help us to make Incanter’s development more active:
- Incanter now has its own organizaion on Github, so please update your bookmarks. Now it’s easier to add new committers & we’re inviting all developers to
- Incanter-related project was accepted for GSoC – this will allow to use core.matrix for matrix-related operations, and users can select preferred implementation.
After the 1.5.5 release we’re planning to concentrate our activity on the development of version 2.0 – including integration of core.matrix, implement the Dataset as protocol, etc. More information in this thread.
Posted in Incanter